Monday, May 31, 2010

Lots to Blog About [Day 31]

Business first --Today is Memorial Day.

I would like to take this time to thank my husband, all of our friends, and everyone else that is currently serving or has served our wonderful country. Thank you.

Side note for my husband:

You know how much I am in love with you. I think you also know that even if I wasn't in love with you, I would still love you for the person that you are. I absolutely hate that you are gone. But I think I tell you too often how much I miss you and hate that you are away and don't tell you enough how much I appreciate what you do. I am so proud of you and so honored to be your wife. When people ask me how you are doing I cannot help but get a huge smile on my face and feel an overwhelming amount of pride come about me. I love what you do and love the Marine that you are.



Now onto telling you about the fun and event filled weekend I had.

Friday I got to Cali and went out to dinner with my friend Jovy. She is 6 months pregnant and absolutely adorable! We went out shopping to walk off the food we just ate and didn't see much worth buying. Saturday morning we woke up early and got ready for the Military Wives Appreciation Luncheon. We went out to breakfast at Denny's and then went shopping (yes, again haha). We had quite a bit of time before the luncheon started so we went into Hallmark to look at "missing you" cards. We ended up laughing a whole lot when we started reading humorous cards. I bought two cards -one lovey dovey card and a funny one. I am putting them in the mail tomorrow.



The luncheon was absolutely gorgeous. It was at a church (feel bad because I cannot remember the name of it) and the women that put this on for us were amazing. The time and money that they put into it for us wives was unbelievable. These women were crying because of how honored they felt to have us in their church. Man, did I feel appreciated. They gave speeches, most of which made me cry, and just overall made us feel appreciated. We all won baskets and gift cards, and they had all sorts of stuff for the women who were pregnant or had infants at home. The picture below is what our table looked like, every table had a different theme to it. All of the tables had china, and at the end of the luncheon one of the wives won a full set that was at a table. How awesome is that!

After the luncheon we went down to La Jolla Beach and soaked up the sun for a few hours. It was very relaxing and I had a great time. We grabbed smoothies and headed over to her friends house to watch the UFC fight with a bunch of Marines. I left early Sunday morning (0600) and headed back to AZ. Then I went to a BBQ over at my god parents house. Overall, a very busy and fun weekend. I have been exhausted all day and trying to recuperate for school in the morning. Today was one of those tough days for me, actually the weekend was kind of a tough one for me. Being in Cali and seeing all the places that I have so many memories with Weikle at was hard. Going on base and knowing he wasn't going to be there was a really weird feeling. I miss him terribly and cannot wait for his return. Being in Cali was definitely not the same without him with me. I do have to say that it did feel good to be there though, to be around Marines and military spouses again. Not that I have or will have a bunch of them as friends, it just felt good to be surrounded by people who know the lifestyle, who have the same love/hate relationship with the Marine Corps as I do. To see the USMC pride everywhere again, to feel it around me....it felt good. I felt at home again, like maybe he was coming home soon.

I wanted to share this poem with you all, it was on our tables at the luncheon.

THE SILENT HERO

She wakes very early, he's leaving today.

She will stand tall and proud as he is walking away.

He glances back warmly at his children and wife, knowing they will bravely carry on their life.

Her strength and her courage only one understands.

He is walking away with her heart in his hands.

For he knows that without it he would be lost, but they both know that freedom comes at a cost.

She walks away holding her children so close, swallowing tears for the one she loves most.

This quiet hero does not walk into wars, she soldiers on behind her closed front door.

She will move through life with the wind at her back, determined to keep her family on track.

Her tears will fall in silence while she lies in her bed.

Her fear is right there but nothing is said.

She will ask that no medals be pinned to her chest, her husband's safe return will be her only request.

Few understand her commitment and her life.

She is the quiet hero.

The Brave Military Wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment