Monday, March 1, 2010

Seconds, Days, Months, Years, MOMENTS

Moments are what define my life right now, moments that are spent with my husband; moments that I will play over and over in my head for the seven to ten months he is in Afghanistan. TEN MONTHS (didn't know it could be ten). 8,000 miles will soon separate us. These miles will soon separate the kisses that I rely on every time I have a bad day. These miles will separate his hands from playing with my hair when we watch The Office (Our Fave TV show) together. But most of all, these miles will separate US, and put him in some of the most dangerous situations where he will be forced to make some of the most difficult decisions he will ever have to make. This separation will put him somewhere where the people living there want nothing more than to see him dead. While I will be put somewhere where the majority of people don't know that everyday I will be waiting for a letter that lets me know he is alive. He is my best friend, the person I confide in, I rely on him for so much. Seconds, days, months, years; these are all measurements of time and I have learned to hate them as much I LOVE HIM. These words used to measure time do nothing for me, yet moments can almost make me feel the warmth of his hug, the smell of his cologne, the roughness of his chin... People ask how I am going to handle my husband being gone for so long and my answer is always the same: I have no idea.

Day by day, week by week, because I know that is what he will be doing. Every time he reaches in his back pocket to pull out that picture of me he will be remembering our last kiss, our last words, AND THAT will get him through the days... just like it will for me. I may be falling apart while he is gone but when I write to him I will be strong, I will be doing great, because I know that what I am going through is nothing compared to what he is.

I pray and pray that he comes back to me, and that the time we spend apart will seem more like days rather than months. I pray that he does his job and does it to the best of his ability for all of us here in America. I pray that he will continue to love what he does, that he will love the cause he is fighting for.... like he always has.


Semper Fidelis My Love.

For those of you who don't know, Semper Fidelis means "Always Faithful". Same goes for Semper Fi.

No comments:

Post a Comment